Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Good, the Bad and the Pepper Spray

I feel like I want to not only document the goods but also the bads. This last few days have been what I say "bad."

I did my first real run Wednesday night (which was my last post) and then Friday night I ran as well (even after ellipticalling in the morning....just call me Kimmy Bentley) completing the same run as Wednesday night. I did it again - that must mean I can really do it. I even gave the Stop sign a high five at the end of my run. I woke up on Saturday morning and took the dog for a walk. (a walk I would have done a month ago and have been proud.) Then I headed to the pool. I made a frozen pina colada and it was yummy, so I had another. At that point, I learned I was heading to the Ravens game at 5pm...let's drink some more. The fun and drinking (back to beer now) continued until about the 3rd quarter (10pm or so). So after 10 hours of adult beverages I was feeling great and having the best time. Fast forward to 6:45am Sunday....run day. I picked some friends up and we headed out to the tire park. Not my favorite route by any means but okay, I can do this....NOT!!! Lesson learned.....alcohol and running are not friends!!! Alcohol and walking were okay but running, ha....I died during my last 3 min run (w3d2). I could barely make it up the hill and out of the park so I just stayed in the park. It was not a good day and I felt like shit! Okay, blame it on dehydration...at least I got out of bed....whatever. Seems like a cop-out.

Yesterday, according to my schedule, was suppose to be my day off. I felt like since my Sunday run was so bad I needed to prove to myself I could still run. I didn't leave the house until 7:30pm....it was so hot!!! (mind you last week was BEAUTIFUL) So I completed my w3d2 AGAIN and didn't feel great. I almost said screw it and went to the car. But no, I started walking the loop, figuring I could just walk it or maybe even run it but I wasn't stopping. I can't believe how much I talk to myself and how I have to talk myself into things....like the loop. I still wasn't feeling the "run" so I started playing games. If an Elvis song comes on before I hit the dorms then I'll run. Apparently Elvis and the running gods were listening because next song.....ain't nothing but a hounddog....ahhhhh....run! I started running at my now "normal start spot." I felt wrong. It was hot, my breathing wasn't as deep. I was complaining to myself and in the next breath saying, stop, you can do this!! I passed my markers....wondering did they extend the loop distance. Were these markers that far apart on Friday Where is that feeling of greatness that I experienced on Wednesday and Friday....I don't know. What I do know is that I didn't make it all the way to the end. I was sure I was going to be laying in a mulch box if I didn't stop, so I did about 60 feet from the finish....damn!!! DEFEATED!!! I so hope I was defeated because of the heat. Whatever the reason, it's a good thing I didn't have the pepper spray with me that Chris bought me and encourages me to take each time....'cause I would have sprayed that shit right in my face to end that damn run!!! I sucked and I felt like hell!!!!

Now, do I get back on track and run tonight? It's no cooler. The weather isn't suppose to get better until the weekend. No, I can't hold off until then. Tomorrow is my 33rd birthday. Do I want to run and risk the possibility of making myself feel shitty? Do I want to run tonight so I don't have to tomorrow and only do the elliptical then? Do I want to just do w3d3 tonight and strength train then maybe tomorrow night just do the loop and run a bit? What if I do a great run tomorrow night and then feel AWESOME on my 33rd birthday???

How bad does the heat affect a run???

No comments:

Post a Comment