Thursday, August 19, 2010

Yep, you read rght

Last week while sitting in my comfy desk chair, listening to some pandora radio, in the a/c may I add, I decided that I, Kim Cugle Blair, was so totally motivated that I was signing up for the Baltimore Running Festival's 5K on Saturday, October 16 (of this year :) No I didn't leave out the part where I was smoking crack either. I paid my $45 plus $3 processing fee to RUN 3.1 miles.

Now that I'm registered and have committed with my registration fee (did I mention you get an Under Armour shirt and TWO free beers after the race, motivating I know) I figured I better start more than just walking and ellipticalling (PS, the little E and I are officially dating. We weren't such great pals in the beginning but we are really a good couple now) So I found a Couch to 5K program and a FREE podcast to go with it. I can't even begin to tell you how the first day was....wanting to pee my pants and throw up at the same time just listening to the guy to tell me to run and walk ...and this was while I was driving to the route. Only once did I say I wanted my money back during the run. Not for the podcast but for the 5K. The second day of training I ran in the OCMD Convention Center parking lot. I wasn't mentally ready for Coastal Highway and while in the parking lot running in circles I honestly envisioned myself as Rocky running up all those steps. The last night of week one I honestly thought I was going to die. It was freakin' HOT!!! I saw those black dots that Christine saw so many months ago walking up the UMBC hill and I swear I had blurry, double vision. Crying wasn't an option because you have to breath to cry and I wasn't doing that so well. Tonight began week 2. 90 sec run/2 min walk intervals. Not so bad, better than I expected. (I still get so anxious) My second interval was up a decently steep hill. At just about the top, going so slow I thought I was going backward and then the "techno" type music that plays during the podcast said STOP and I was all about it, not realizing for a moment that it was the music not the guy and I should still be running...oooops!!

I just set my alarm clock for 5:30am because I told a friend I'd do UMBC with her at 5:45 tomorrow morning. Please someone tell me wtf is happening to me. If it makes you feel any better, so you feel like you still know me, I did eat 3 mini doughnuts tonight...duh, they were calling my name. Thank God we didn't have any Doritos or my keyboard might be covered in nacho cheese :)

3.5 months ago I said I needed a change because I was disgusted....27 pounds down and registered for a 5K. Who would have thought? Crazy and amazing all at the same time!!!

1 comment: