Wednesday, October 13, 2010

From the Sofa to the Road

The other day (last day of C25K) I had a terrible mental breakdown, almost panic attack-ish. My legs hurt, I forgot how to breathe, I wanted to stop so bad and I was only about 13 minutes into my run. I didn't stop and I finished but I fought internally with my BRAIN almost the rest of the run. I was talking to a friend of mine later that day about it (she is a tri-athlete, completed 4 sprint tri's this season after completing her first 5K in 10/09. She is quite a motivation and she's been 'there.') We talked about how running is almost as mental as it is physical. She told me 'I need to want it more than I fear it!!' since that talk, this is now my mantra. I do want this and I will get this. I was on a running message board the other day and someone said that running never gets easy. We're always running a further distance or faster. Constantly testing and outdoing. It was 2 months to the day I started the program that I completed Couch to 5K. I am an overweight, 33 year old wife and working mother of 2. Now in addition to those things I am also a RUNNER. After this Saturday I will also consider myself an athlete. It's not so much about the weight anymore, it's more about what I know I am capable of. I want to scream to the world that I can and will do this. Last night I had my best run so far. I ran 3.06 miles in 39:50. That's a 14 minute mile, better than the 15 minute mile I had been running and most importantly so much better than the evenings on the sofa from just a few short months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment